Teamwork is key to how we approach teaching and supporting student success. Parents and students work with our Student Success, Academic Leadership, and Parent Collaboration Student Success teams, in addition to all of our highly skilled teachers. Together, we work towards a common goal – to transform our students into engaged and autonomous learners.
A Better way of teaching
Traditional teaching has failed students. Math, science, history – all knowledge is best acquired when it meets the needs of a wide range of learners versus outdated, less effective animation-driven styles that fluctuate from teacher to teacher.
Through demonstrated student success, we have designed our own training program and train all our teachers to systematically apply our Coached Learning Development Model and principles. Teacher competencies are aligned with student learning needs creating a recurring winning formula that supports and nurtures student success.
This means that all teachers regardless of class, subject or grade, apply the same Coached Learning Development Model so that students – regardless of diagnosis – receive predictable and structured learning. This consistent approach to teaching means that students know what to expect and understand what is expected of them. It also reduces the stress and anxiety some teens experience when faced with change or the unknown.
The Centennial Academy team guides and coaches students, helping them to gain critical thinking and problem-solving skills – skills that will help them in their academic pursuits and beyond. Students become motivated and empowered to take charge of their learning.
Effective Learning Behaviours
Using consistent repetitive patterns of learning and individual feedback, students are taught effective learning behaviours, proper organization and task prioritization that teach them how to learn. Key elements include:
- Repetition with consistent routines
- Tailored coursepacks for optimal learning
- Colour-coded binders by subjects for greater organization
- Highly trained teachers that prioritize interaction and in-class learning
- Constructive individual and group feedback that promotes learning and improvement
- Emphasis on student engagement and understanding, over grades
- Methods that boost motivation and confidence
- Inclusive learning environment using the principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
- Collaboration between parents and student success team